Re: PostgreSQL Portable Runtime (was Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL)

From: Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org>
To: Robert <robert(at)robert(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Portable Runtime (was Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL)
Date: 1999-12-31 00:59:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Robert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> one of the important factors that contributed to the popularity and success of
> Apache, Perl, Tcl/Tk etc. was their platform independence. I'm big fan of Unix (and
> even bigger of Postgres ;-), but BeOS, MacOS X, even Win2000 all look quite
> interesting too and I don't want to tie myself to just one platform.

MacOS X has a Unix core ( Mach 3.0 + FreeBSD ). a few people are looking
into a port to MacOS X DP2 (Developer Preview, heavily NDA'ed), but
they're not sure if the guts are 'feature frozen' yet. MacOS X CR1
(Customer Release) supposidly ships ~feb 2k. id expect that the port
would be relatively painless, but i'm not 100% positive. Mach would be
The Big Hurdle (no pun intended) in getting pgsql to work right on the
MacOS X/OS X Server platform.

David Wetzel ( www.turbocat.de ) has a working EOAdaptor for MacOS X
Server, OPENSTEP/Mach, and OPENSTEP/NT. ive been using it for quite a few
internal projects under MacOS X Server. works great.

> [SNIP]

---
Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org> URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"I've learned that you cannot make someone love you.
All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in."