Re: [HACKERS] string function

From: Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] string function
Date: 1999-09-29 15:50:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1) strftime() allows arbitrary formatting of date/time strings.
> Certainly useful, though one can easily format a string that is no
> longer recognizable to Postgres as a date which is one reason why I
> didn't code it up previously. Perhaps we should focus on an
> Oracle-compatible routine for this; I think it uses tochar() to do
> formatting. Someone recently volunteered to send in code which could
> be used for this, but I haven't seen the code yet :(

If I good understand you, you don't reject strftime idea. I try it..

> 2) strcat() concatenates two strings? There is a full set of functions
> which do this, and they are used to support the SQL92 concatenation
> operator "||".

:-)) yes '||' is good. I said it bad. I think exapmle inetcat() (I
programming this for my project):

select inetcat('160.217.1.0/24', 50);
inetcat
160.217.1.50

In my prev. letter I said it generally. (I'am finding a more function
in PSQL.. and I can try write it.).

Zakkr