Re: [GENERAL] \d <table> command

From: Simon Drabble <simon(at)eskimo(dot)com>
To: Mark Jewiss <Mark(dot)Jewiss(at)knowledge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] \d <table> command
Date: 1999-09-27 13:41:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Mark Jewiss wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to be able to build up information about the different tables held
> in a database for a small diagnostic tool that I'm writing.
>
> I need to see the name of each column in the table, the column data type
> and size, and if nulls are allowed - essentially what is produced by the
> '\d <tablename>' command.
>
> Does anyone know the SQL query to use on the system tables to produce that
> result? I've started to go through them now, and was expecting to find
> something along the lines of 'pg_columns', but no such luck. :(
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark.
> --
> Mark Jewiss

Dunno the specific selects to get what you want, but you can investigate the
standard postgres views:

select * from pg_views where viewname like 'pg_%';

Might get you what you're after.

I was doing something similar (creating my own list of tables/ columns)
recently - the various selects are in the source, and quite well documented.

Simon.

--
"Aah - a voice of clue in a wilderness of luse."

Simon Drabble It's like karma for your brain.
simon(at)eskimo(dot)com