Re: [GENERAL] problem with PostgreSQL 6.5 on Linux [solved]

From: Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org>
To: M Simms <grim(at)argh(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] problem with PostgreSQL 6.5 on Linux [solved]
Date: 1999-06-26 02:13:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, M Simms wrote:

> > after installing pgsql-6.5 ( on a machine with pgsql-6.4.2 installed and
> > running ), initdb creates a PG_VERSION file that still reports 6.4;
> > subsequent psql connections fail to connect, complaining about "no
> > compatible version of postgres found".
> >
> > before you ask:
> > yes, ive made sure that im using 6.5's initdb.
> > yes, ive made sure that initdb is looking in the 6.5 dir for its template.
> > yes, its writing to a 6.5 dir.
> >
> > so, errr, what gives?
>
> Check you killed the postmaster for the old version, thats what I forgot
> to do, and those were my exact symptoms.

actually, it didnt have anything to do with the older version. for some
reason, "pg_version" wasnt copied into pgsql-6.5/bin. my apologies for
not picking this up when 'initdb' ran ( believe me, im smacking myself
in the head about this ).

why it defaulted to '6.4' or exactly how '6.4' showed up is beyond me,
however.

heh, now to import all my dbs... *shudder*

---
Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org> URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."