Re: [HACKERS] "DML"

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] "DML"
Date: 1999-06-11 17:36:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Don Baccus wrote:

> Hmmm...it appears "The Practical SQL Handbook" gets it wrong,
> then, as it lumps "select" with data modification statements
> when it makes its breakdown between DML, data definition,
> and what they call data administration (clearly they mean
> the same things as your DCL definition, i.e. grant/revoke
> type stuff).
>
> And the AOLServer guys get it right as they talk about
> "ns_db dml" working on insert/update/delete and "also
> data definition" statements, i.e. they recognize the
> difference in their documentation.
>
> OK, in the DML, DCL, and DDL decomposition of things, just what
> *is* a select statement?

Hee hee...according to Guy Harrison who wrote 'Oracle SQL High
Performance Tuning' (a great book) SELECT is NOT part of DML.

It is a QUERY.
Harrison separates SELECT from DML because it does not alter data.

Is this getting murkier or do I really need some coffee?

> You've given a simple definition of the decomposition, why
> not bottle it and pour it into the docs?

I would give it a try, if Thomas wanted it...usually tho I sit back
and try to learn from following this list. Anyway the two books that
I've come to rely on are literally on my coffee table at home, so
maybe tonight I'll have a pint and try to write up a coherent def.

Tom

------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs: tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
Phone: 718-354-5528
Fax: 718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */