Re: [GENERAL] Upgrading from 6.3->6.4.2/6.5b1 possible

From: Gregory Maxwell <greg(at)z(dot)ml(dot)org>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Upgrading from 6.3->6.4.2/6.5b1 possible
Date: 1999-05-30 22:50:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> >
> >AHH! The pgsql v6.3 backend has begun crashing horribly on me since I've
> >added a few more database backed webpages (with messages like 'backend
> >cache invalidation...').. I figured that upgrading to 6.4.2 would solve my
> >problems.. But I can't upgrade! Things I've tried:
> >
> >* Using old pg_dumpall -z > file and psql -e template1 < file (after
> > install and initdb)
> >* Using the pg_dumpall from the new version.
> >* Using pg_upgrade
> >* Rereading the docs dozens of times
> >* having a friend try it.
> >* all of the above with both 6.4.2 and 6.5beta
> >
> >Every time I start loading, it chokes up on the dump output and falls into
> >a constant stream of parse errors and messages like "PQsendQuery() --
> >query is too long. Maximum length is 8191"
> >
> >Argh!!! I've got websites constantly crashing and coustomers ready to
> >revolt, what can I do???
>
> edit the dump file; change every line to an insert command. Run that
> so that you can see what it is objecting to.
>
> 6.3's dump did not cover everything, so you are likely to have to edit the
> dump file to make it reloadable.

Is there a better way, perhaps even a perl script? My dump is quite large
(~1 million rows?) and manual editing is right out. If I'm going to go
through that kind of labor I'll probably switch to MySQL (which has a
larger web userbase, even though I prefer postgres for it's
completeness)..

Argh.. Are you aware of any patches to v6.3 that might improve my
stability without breaking compatibility?

Thanks