Re: [INTERFACES] SLOWNESS ON JDBC INTERFACE

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Debbie and Mike Meyer <mwmeyer(at)omeganet(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] SLOWNESS ON JDBC INTERFACE
Date: 1998-09-26 10:32:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Debbie and Mike Meyer wrote:

> I've been installing and learning the jdbc driver with 6.3.2.
> The example programs in the ../postgresql/src/interface/jdbc
> directory run fine -- except everyone takes a good two
> minutes to execute.
>
> Running in debug, the hangup is on this line:
>
> [Loaded java/net/InetAddressImpl.class from
> /usr/lib/jdk-1.1.5/lib/classes.zip]
>
> It halts there for a couple of minutes then makes the connection
> quickly.
>
> It's jdk-1.1.5 from the Redhat RPM. Redhat 5.0 upgraded
> to kernel 2.0.35. postmaster is running with tcpip ( -i option)
> The connection is from localhost (127.0.0.1) and the pg_hba.conf is
> left at default (with localhost permissions wide open).

I assume you mean the "host all 127.0.0.1" line is uncommented...

> It's only a P-75 on a hobby machine, but I think it shud
> be more responsive. Normal commands from within
> psql work fine.

Even then it should be more responsive than that.

> Anyone seen this problem or at least have some ideas
> how to approach troubleshooting it?

All of the examples are written on a P133 Linux box, and they show no
problems of this nature.

I have seen this symptom on other systems (nothing to do with postgresql
or java), and it's either been caused by a routing or host lookup failure.

For example: At work, I have a large corporate unix machine. If a PC is
not in that machines /etc/hosts file, then there is a delay of 60-120
seconds before a connection is made.

PS: JDK 1.1.5 is ok for pre v6.4 versions of the driver. In 1.1.6, Sun
fixed a bug in the java.util.Date class, and v6.4 now handles dates how
they should be, so it can break on 1.1.5 or earlier. The earlier drivers
had to add a day when storing them in PreparedStatement.setDate()

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk