Re: [INTERFACES] Storing Java Objects Through JDBC

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Nathan DeBardeleben <ndebard(at)parl(dot)eng(dot)clemson(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Storing Java Objects Through JDBC
Date: 1998-07-30 10:04:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Nathan DeBardeleben wrote:

> I'm using v 6.3 of pgsql and was wondering if there's a way to store off
> a Java object and then retrieve it. I'd like to do this rather than
> breaking down the object into its fundamental elements, storing them into
> tables using SQL and then reforming it through queries.
> I was under the impression you could ask PG to store a TextField object,
> or String object, or Vector object.

In 6.3.x, you can Serialize the object into a large object within the
database.

What you are after is being planned for 6.4 (the beginnings of it is
already in to development version of the driver). Basically the driver
will Serialize the object directly into tables. It's not yet stable for
general use, but it does work.

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk or petermount(at)earthling(dot)net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk