Re: [SQL] Restricting number of entries returned

From: Zsolt Varga <redax(at)agria(dot)hu>
To: Neil Burrows <neil(at)remo(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Restricting number of entries returned
Date: 1998-07-15 22:06:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Neil Burrows wrote:

|Hi,
|
|Is there any way of restricting the number or entries returned in an SQL
|query?
|
|For example, if you wanted to do a select that ordered the results by a
|certain field, and only wanted the "Top 10" entries, is there any way to
|specify that you just want the 1st 10 records?

I don't know is there any simple solution
but you can do it with cursors

begin;
declare curs01 cursor for select artist,music,vote from musicdb order by
vote descending;
fetch 10 in curs01;
end;

redax

|Zsolt Varga | tel/fax: +36 36 422811 |
| AgriaComputer LTD | email: redax(at)agria(dot)hu |
| System Administrator | URL: http://www.agria.hu/ |