Re: [INTERFACES] Re: M$-Access'97 and TIMESTAMPs

From: "Jose' Soares Da Silva" <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: interfaces postgres <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: M$-Access'97 and TIMESTAMPs
Date: 1998-06-12 10:18:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> Jose',
>
> I got row versioning working with the "xmin" field. Since it is a system column, and
> automatically updates, you would not need triggers all over the place on every table.
> I made it a datasource option called "Row Versioning".
>
> It works well with Access except for two minor caveats:
>
> 1) The driver has to report the 'xmin' field in SQLColumns. There is no way around
> that I can see. Access, thus displays it. Users can of course hide the column if they
> hate looking at it. And Access won't let you type into this field which is good.
>
> 2) You have to create an '=' operator for the xid type on the postgres side since one
> does not already exist. I have the code to do it if you are interested (it is very
> small). For 6.4, we would make sure this operator is added.

Ok Byron, I think this is a good solution.
In this way we don't need to add a TIMESTAMP to every table there's already a
XMIN present.
In any way, what's happen with TIMESTAMPs ? May we have Access recognize it as
DATETIME or we can't because Access beleaves that's a ROWVER ?
I would like to try it. Please Byron may you send me the code for '=' operator
for xid type.
Jose'