Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization

From: Kevin Heflin <kheflin(at)shreve(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization
Date: 1998-05-31 22:45:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > and I tell all my friends this, but there is too much pg bashing
> > because of the early days. People think mysql rocks because it is so
> > fast, but in reality, well.. It's all IMHO, and the right tool for
> > the right job.
>
> Yes, this has frustrated me too. Why are we not getting better mention
> from people? I think we can now be classified as the 'most advanced'
> free database. Can we do something about mentioning that to others? We
> certainly are growing market share, but i guess I would like to see more
> transfers from other databases.
>
> The highly-biased MySQL comparison page hurts us too, but other people
> explaining real issues can counter that.

I just about had a hard time getting our system admin to install
Postgresql. All I ever heard about was MSQL is already installed. I was
under the impression that Postgresql was a more full featured SQL server
than msql. And besides that, it was what I was able to install on my home
MkLinux box, to learn. We're slowly making a switch from Microsoft SQL and
Everyware's Butler SQL server to a Linux/Postgresql combo. I've been very
pleased.

The only problem I haven't been able to fix to date is calling "Dates"
from a database and displaying them like "Sunday May 31, 1998" instead
"05-31-1998"

Currently using PHP2.x not PHP3 yet...

Kevin

Kevin Heflin | ShreveNet, Inc. | Ph:318.222.2638 x103
VP/Mac Tech | 333 Texas St #619 | FAX:318.221.6612
kheflin(at)shreve(dot)net | Shreveport, LA 71101 | http://www.shreve.net