Re: [INTERFACES] Access'97 and ODBC

From: "Jose' Soares Da Silva" <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail(at)hamartun(dot)priv(dot)no>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Access'97 and ODBC
Date: 1998-04-30 16:13:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > > Hear! Hear! Good standards beat silly conventions any day!
> > Seems that you don't like conventions Tom, but you want
> > that all world use dates with American format.
> > Seems that you want impose one convention.
> > We're working with a database which name is PostgreSQL.
> > I suppose that you know what's mean the last 3 letters.
>
> Uh, Jose', he was agreeing with you :))

I'm sorry Tom Ivar, my mistake (guilt of my poor english)

> Anyway, imo the only issue is _when_ this kind of change should take
> place. My comment in the documentation did not promise that it would
> change in the next release,

Yes I know...

> only that it might change in a future
> release. btw, I don't think that the ISO date style is mandated by the
> SQL92 standard, but it does seem like a good idea, particularly as we
> approach y2k...

I think so, Tom. Here the syntax from...

(Second Informal Review Draft) ISO/IEC 9075:1992, Database
Language SQL- July 30, 1992

5.3 <literal>
<date literal> ::=
DATE <date string>

<date string> ::=

<date value> ::=

example date syntax: DATE '0001-01-01'
DATE '9999-12-31'

Ok, I know that keyword DATE before value is a silly and an useless
thing but YYYY-MM-DD format it's an intelligent thing.

> Of course, since we now have the PGDATESTYLE environment variable,
> usable by both the backend (at startup) and libpq (at connect time),
> perhaps a change in default date format is not something to worry about
> too much.
>
> I haven't heard any negative comments (yet) about changing the default
> date format to ISO-8601 (yyyy-mm-dd). Does anyone have a strong feeling
> that this should _not_ happen for v6.4??
>
> Speak up or it might happen ;)

Go for it Tom! Jose'