Re: Why Size Of Data Backed Up Varies Significantly In SQL 6.5?

From: Marc SCHAEFER <schaefer(at)alphanet(dot)ch>
To: Wendy <windy1a(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why Size Of Data Backed Up Varies Significantly In SQL 6.5?
Date: 2001-04-26 19:34:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Wendy wrote:

> I backed up a database at night and noted the size to be about over 300MB.

Backuped with pg_dump, or dumped the raw database files ? In the latter
case you want to stop the PostgreSQL server first.

> The following morning, I again backed up the same database and found out the
> size to be less than 100MB. There was no massive deletes by users during
> that morning.

If you dumped the raw database, this difference can be caused by VACUUM
being run automatically at night to free deleted items.

NB: personnally I recommend backuping using pg_dump or pg_dumpall. And
testing that restoration works.