Re: unix_socket_directory isn't used by all bin tools

From: Jerome Alet <alet(at)unice(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unix_socket_directory isn't used by all bin tools
Date: 2001-03-30 14:59:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > Jerome Alet (alet(at)unice(dot)fr) reports a bug with a severity of 2
> > The lower the number the more severe it is.
>
> > I've defined unix_socket_directory to be /var/lib/postgres
> > in /var/lib/data/postgresql.conf
> >
> > it seems that at least createuser doesn't take care of this directory
> > setting, because it searches the socket exclusively in /tmp, so it
> > fails asking whether postmaster is running or not.
>
> The configuration file is only for the server; the clients don't see it.
> Client tools can use the PGHOST environment variable or the -h option, or
> whatever else the client has implemented.

I disagree partially, correct me if I'm wrong:

Unix domain sockets are not available accross the network, so in this
particular case (postmaster not listening on tcp) the client and the
server are on the same machine, it's mandatory. That's why I think that
these programs should take care of the server's configuration if it's
available (and no -h or PGHOST option)

hoping this clarifies what I meant.

bye,

Jerome Alet