Re: psql won't start

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)q8(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Gerhard Kroder <Gerhard(dot)Kroder(at)de(dot)ibm(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql won't start
Date: 2000-11-09 15:06:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Gerhard Kroder wrote:

> > $ psql <dbname>
> > For exam: $ psql template1
>

> hmm, IMHO not necessarily. At least here psql connects to a default
> database, which is template1 unless you set it otherwise....
>
> My guess: there is no database at all, just the system. You need to
> initialize one first (initdb). On my Debian System it gets initialized
> when installing PostgreSQL from Debian Packages.

Hallo Gerhard,

This is not the case on RedHat, Slackware, FreeBSD or UnixWare.
Don't know about SuSe(?)

On these systems psql needs an arg else it complains that the
database 'tomg' does not exist. ;-)

Ciao

SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA Phone: 718-354-5528
Fax: 718-354-5056