Re: psql won't start

From: Gerhard Kroder <Gerhard(dot)Kroder(at)de(dot)ibm(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql won't start
Date: 2000-11-09 14:44:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thomas Good wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Diego A. Puertas F. wrote:

> > Now psql is not starting and throws the following message:
> >
> > psql: FATAL 1: Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.
> >

> > So, what's going on?
>
> Diego,
>
> You are missing an argument: the database name...
>
> $ psql <dbname>
> For exam: $ psql template1

hmm, IMHO not necessarily. At least here psql connects to a default
database, which is template1 unless you set it otherwise....

My guess: there is no database at all, just the system. You need to
initialize one first (initdb). On my Debian System it gets initialized
when installing PostgreSQL from Debian Packages.

--
Gerhard Kroder