Some advanced database features, are they present in PostgreSQL

From: Marc SCHAEFER <schaefer(at)alphanet(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Some advanced database features, are they present in PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-10-10 13:51:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have been using PostgreSQL a bit and I have been surprised by the good
quality, the features, and now the Addison-Wesley book which is excellent.
However, I have some questions about the implementation of a few
additional features.

I suppose that PostgreSQL hasn't any ability to do the following yet:

- log all transactions to a special log file, that can be used for
backup purposes: ie you dump the database every day, but you keep
the transaction log on a separate disk. Should the database disk
crash, you won't have any data loss if you restore the backup and
replay the transaction log.

- hard transactions: cutting the power to a PostgreSQL server
may cause data loss and/or data corruption. Some databases use
sophisticated techniques to ensure serialization of operation
through journaling, redoing some of the transactions at
bootup time if required.

- the ability to synchronize two database servers, with only the
changes being exchanged, live. Or the ability to have many
servers in a load-balancing or data scattering pool.

- ability to have databases bigger than the host's maximum file size

if this is true, can someone tell me why it hasn't been implemented yet
(there might be very good reasons), if it will be, and if the task seems
complicated.

thank you for your time.