Re: [GENERAL] 50 MB Table

From: Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org>
To: JB <jimbag(at)kw(dot)igs(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] 50 MB Table
Date: 2000-03-07 08:39:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, JB wrote:

> [SNIP]
> CREATE TABLE info (
> lastname char(50),
> street_name char(50),
> street_number char(5),
> ... (a bunch of other stuff that works fine with '=')
> );
>
> CREATE INDEX nx_info1 ON info (lastname);
> CREATE INDEX nx_info2 ON info (street_name);
>
> The select is as simple as this in most cases...
>
> SELECT * FROM info WHERE street_name LIKE 'MAIN%';
> [SNIP]
might want to try CLUSTERing the table based on one of the indexes.
that'll put everything in order ( physically ) and should speed it up a
bit.

id also suggest grabbing more ram while its (relatively) inexpensive.

> [SNIP]

---
Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org> URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"You do not have the right to free health care. That would be nice, but
from the looks of public housing, we're just not interested in health care."