Re: [HACKERS] Dumping of views -- done!

From: Terry Mackintosh <terry(at)terrym(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Dumping of views -- done!
Date: 1998-10-05 13:46:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Jan

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Took a look at the patch. Terry's using the new system view
> pg_views for it. But...
>
> IMHO the better way would be to dump views as regular CREATE
> TABLE statements and just omit the data (views have none).
> After all tables are restored and all functions, operators
> and operator classes are created, we should dump rules using
> the pg_rules view.

Well, if you see need to do it differant, you most certainly know more
about it then me, so sure.

I am confused though ....
How is "CREATE TABLE ...." going to become "CREATE VIEW ....."????

Note also, that the way I did it kept in mind that some day we will have
outer joins, at which time most of the code I put in getTables() can come
out, and just make a very minor change to the main query to get the view
info all at one time.

If there is a cleaner way to do it though, then that is the way to do it,
I just do not understand what it is you said.

I am lacking time today to really think about it, but will take time
tonight maybe to look at pg_rules and such.

Have a great day
Terry Mackintosh <terry(at)terrym(dot)com> http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.3
Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!