Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]

From: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date: 1998-07-27 21:30:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> IMHO (actually make that IMVeryHO) This is probably a bad idea... We
> should just update the man pages to detail the SQL code that can be used
> instead of the command. It doesn't hurt anything/anyone to leave the
> programs as they are...

True.

> ... and can even be helpful to people writing scripts to
> automate management of their servers.

This is already possible with psql. Most of my psql work is done via a
makefile, infact. I tend to put my SQL into a file such as create.sql and
destroy.sql then my project makefile can handle the rest just by having
psql read those files when needed. Sure, I do that for development, but it
would work for maintenance.

Bruce Tong | Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Systems Programmer | Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.
Electronic Vision / FITNE |
zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net | -- Joe Walsh for the 21st Century