Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]

From: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date: 1998-07-22 14:54:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> > > What does Oracle's ODBC driver offer that ours currently doesn't?
> >
> > I just tried it for the first time last week. It failed to perform a
> > simple query. I need to double check my work yet. The Oracle ODBC driver
> > has _probably_ been around for a while and has _probably_ been better
> > tested perhaps simply by raw numbers of users.
>
> Have you mentioned this on pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org? David
> and Bryon are both very vocal over there, and are quick to pop up to help
> those using the ODBC drivers, as they are the ones that are developing it.

Nope. I wanted to check my work first. Its my first attempt at using the
ODBC driver and MS-Access has changed (for the worse interface-wise) a lot
since v1.1. It may even have something to do with the way I've declared
the tables on the PostgreSQL side.

[ Documentation ]

> Any comments, opinions or suggested changes is welcome...are you
> on the pgsql-docs mailing list?

No, but I will be shortly.

> As for your perception of the documentation, have you [recently] checked
> out:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs

It's been a few weeks. I'll look again.

> My opinion, though, tends to be that I learn more from a book,
> then from other ppl, except for clarification of what I've read...

I too learn a lot from books. But on new subjects, a short class covering
the idea behind the technology really helps. A little theory goes a long
way. I can figure out the "How" if I know the "Why."

Bruce Tong | Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Systems Programmer | Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.
Electronic Vision / FITNE |
zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net | -- Joe Walsh for the 21st Century