Re: [INTERFACES] Perl modules

From: Tom Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Dr David Scott <ds(at)ganymede(dot)com>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, "Konstantin S(dot) Kuznetsov" <ksk(at)ch70(dot)chel(dot)su>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Perl modules
Date: 1998-06-18 15:36:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Dr David Scott wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > There is also a Perl module included with the distribution in the
> > src/interfaces/perl directory...I've never used anything else myself...
>
> This is the DBD::Pg module. You also need the DBI.pm module to make it
> work. Also, CPAN should have the latest version of DBD::Pg.

David - are you sure about the interface that comes bundled being
DBD::Pg? It is *very* different from DBD-Pg-0.69 which I am currently
using...(?)

Also - the dbi mailing list is helpful (I believe I got to it via
www.fugue.com)

> Incidentally, if you use perl at all CPAN is absolutely indispensable.
> The CPAN.pm module that is bundled with the most recent versions of perl
> is really wonderful for managing it all. Type
>
> perl -MCPAN -e shell

The one resource I wish we had is good documentation on Tim Bunce's
DBI. There is nothing of note in Learning Perl or the camel book.
Advanced Perl Programming has a blurb on dbi but it is very scant.
I haven't checked out Tim O'Reilly's Perl Resource Kit as I don't have
the $150 US. Is there anything of interest contained in it?

BTW, how is Montreal doing, in the wake of all the ice and hail the past
year visited on the NE?

Cheers,
Tom
User Guide Dog Database Project