Re: [GENERAL] Not about LOGOs this time...

From: Tom Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Not about LOGOs this time...
Date: 1998-06-05 09:39:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Ack...spreading out the lists is only going to make this worse, not better

OK...bad idea, I'll drop it.

> Want to make some suggestions on list names? pgsql-newbie I know of, and
> if you *really* think its required, I'll work it up tomorrow...do we want
> OS specific lists though? pgsql-admin-linux? *raised eyebrow*

Well, as long as the list keeps the BSD types in their place it
works for me. (Just kidding! You guys can't help it you're so
rigid as regards change...hee hee...very tongue in cheek...not
serious...and so on...) Linux and BSD peacefully coexisting,
imagine that! As long as Debian is excluded, of course. ;-)

I don't think we need OS specific...just somewhere for the new guys to
post questions that will get answered, even if the answer is only:
`C'mon guy, you really should plug the thing in before you press the
on button...'

Marc - I know this is a hassle and I know we have a multiplicity of
lists already but I really do see a need for a user orientation list.

I would hope we could get some ringers on it (Constantin, Jose, Tom, etc.)
If there is something I could do to assist, let me know. It might
keep me out of trouble!

As regards Bruce (M's) irc idea - yeah, ok, but I wouldn't really use it.
The real issue is the creation of a forum for newbies to state without
reservation, in the most inarticulate manner, the problem at hand.
(In my case: which is the doggone `anykey'?)

PostgreSQL is a great product (I like Bruce M's description by the way)
but as it grows there will be more and more newbies...

> 20 lists...the hard part is keeping ppl informed and organized (ie.
> prevent posting the wrong thing to the wrong lists)...

I'm willing to do whatever I can to help with the mundane administrative
piece...

Cheers,
Tom

User Guide Dog Database Project
Project Coordinator: Peter J. Puckall <ppuckall(at)cableregina(dot)com>
Programmers:
C/Perl: Paul Anderson <paul(at)geeky1(dot)ebtech(dot)net>
SQL/Perl: Tom Good <tomg(at)q8(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
HTML: Chris House <csh(at)geocities(dot)com>
SQL/Perl: Phil R. Lawrence <prl2(at)lehigh(dot)edu>
Perl: Mike List <troll(at)net-link(dot)net>
Progress 4GL: Robert March <rmarch(at)hawk(dot)igs(dot)net>