Setup and LIBPQ (Newbie)

From: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Setup and LIBPQ (Newbie)
Date: 1998-05-12 16:11:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

I've starting writing some code against LIBPQ and the PQsetdb() call
doesn't establish a connection. I get the following error message when I
ran my program:

"Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'zztong' using the default
authentication type: be_recvauth: host-based authentication failed"

Then I ran "psql mydb" under my "zztong" login and it worked. So, I ran my
program again and got a different message:

"PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend cloased the channel
before responding. This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
before or while processing the request."

My call to PQsetdb is...

theConnection = PQsetdb( "vishnu.ev.net", "5432", NULL, NULL, "mydb" );

I'm running Postgres 6.2.1 as it comes installed with Red Hat Linux v5.0.

Q: I saw somebody recommend a "-i" option for what seemed like a similar
situation, but I don't see that option on the man pages. Is it related to
my problem?

Q: Attempts to use MS-Access with the PostODBC driver failed. Could this
be related?

I'm new to PostgreSQL and administrating any type of SQL-DB server.
Extended explanations are appreciated as are corrections to inaccurate
things I may have said.

Bruce Tong
Systems Programmer
Electronic Vision / FITNE