Re: [BUGS] can't vacuum LargeObjects now

From: Peter T Mount <pgbugs(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pcs(at)bmail(dot)kek(dot)jp
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs List <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] can't vacuum LargeObjects now
Date: 1998-04-29 17:24:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

[cc'd to interfaces]

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Park, Chul-Su wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I try to "vacuum" a db there was some messages:
>
> mydb=>vacuum;
> NOTICE: Rel xinv169971: can't vacuum LargeObjects now
> VACUUM
>
> this seems to be
> (0) I deleted some rows in the TABLE containing oids as a field
> (1) those large objects seems to be orphaned.
>
> then how can I remove unused LargeObjects? And when will it be possible
> dump/restore large objects?(I mean upgrade existing dbs keeping oids).

I can't remember vacuum ever removing an orphaned large object, just
cleaning up any deleted space within the objects.

There is currently no way for the system to remove orphaned large objects
- it's up to the dba or the client application.

There was a discussion about handling orphaned large objects as this is a
problem for both the JDBC & ODBC drivers.

One of the things on my list for JDBC 6.4 is solving (or a solution to)
orphaned large objects.

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk or petermount(at)earthling(dot)net
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder (moving soon to www.retep.org.uk)