Re: [INTERFACES] Naming of the PostreSQL ODBC .dll file

From: Gerhard Reithofer <gerhardr(at)tech-edv(dot)co(dot)at>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: julie(at)hub(dot)org, byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Naming of the PostreSQL ODBC .dll file
Date: 1998-04-18 09:44:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Scott Tomer x6214 Austin wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 julie(at)hub(dot)org wrote:
> >
> > > The last time I made mumblings of droping 16 bit support I got
> > > roasted pretty good. There seem to still be a lot of 16 bit users out
> > > there that would like to use the driver.
> > >
> > > Julie
> >
> > Could someone forward this to the old list; I'm sorry that I do not remember
> > the address. It is just that I know not all members of the old PostODBC
> > list have migrated to this one, and there may be many of those that have
> > viewpoints on this issue.
> >
> > I, myself, would not have a problem with dropping 16bit; however, I realize
> > not all have windoze users have buckled under the enourmous pressure from
> > MS to convert to 95.
>
> Besides a cocky remark every now and then (don't even need ale for that :)
> I've been avoiding most of this discussion. Y'know M$ came up with w95 a
> few years ago and you'd think that by now everyone migrated. It's simply
> not true. Alot of businesses have decided that 95 isn't for them and that
> 3.1 is stable enough for their operation and that's that.
... CUT ...

Agree!

I'm one (of the last?) who uses 16-bit too.
I know several companies (esp. with many PC's) which stay still in the
16-bit world.

If it is *really* a problem to support 16-bit AND 32-bit in one
source tree (I didn't see the great problems), a practically way could be
to split it into a 16-bit and 32-bit tree. Anyone who needs a 16-bit
version could (should) support the developement.

IMHO one the *greatest* advantages of PostgreSQL is the extremely wide
range of supported platforms and interfaces!

Hoping OBC16 does NOT die,
Gerhard

+-----------------+ +--- gerhardr(at)tech-edv(dot)co(dot)at ---+
| Technische EDV \ Reithofer / Technical Sofware Developement |
| Staatsbahnstr. 100 +-------+ Fax +43-2522/87268 |
+----- http://members.aon.at/tech-edv/Info -------+