Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.

From: Peter T Mount <psqlhack(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Darren King <darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.
Date: 1998-03-24 06:58:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Would be nice if stuff like that (and the money and geometrics) could be
> > > compiled in in the same manner that Apache is a basic web server that lets
> > > you pick and choose modules/features you want to build into it.
> > >
> > > I don't know how big of a performance boost it provides in the cache, but
> > > removing the functions associated with the char types shrank the pg_proc
> > > table from 906 to 842 entries or a bit over 7%.
> > >
> > > Want to shrink it further? Of those remaining 842, _230_ are for the geometric
> > > types! Throw in 25 more for the cash/money functions. Bloat city if you
> > > never use these things. Thirty percent could be moved out to contrib and
> > > not missed by most postgres users.
> > >

> > Yes, but if they are never referenced, the cache is empty for those
> > types. Unless there is some performance change with their removal, why
> > remove them? Disk space of binary?
>
> I have to agree here...unless a noticeable performance improvement
> can be demonstrated, I really don't like a trend that moves towards
> removing core features that make us unique, just cause it makes a table
> just a little smaller...*shrug*

I'm also thinking about JDBC. If you remove some features out of the core,
and reorganise what OID's are associated with the types, then we would
have a big performance hit when the driver starts up, and possibly make
the driver even larger than it is now.

--
Peter T Mount petermount(at)earthling(dot)net or pmount(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder