Re: [HACKERS] Coasting to 6.3 release

From: Marc Howard Zuckman <marc(at)fallon(dot)classyad(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Coasting to 6.3 release
Date: 1998-02-28 13:34:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Also seems like we have more 'expert' developers now than we ever had
> before. And we haven't really lost any big developers since we started
> with PostgreSQL, except maybe Bryan Henderson. I take this stability to
> mean we are managing things well, and the effort is well co-ordinated
> and fruitful.

Not to diminish the significance of Bruce's remarks, but I think 2
additional factors are also at work:
1)Success builds on success. The better the software, the more
likely someone will use it --> The more likely someone will find a bug
or need a new feature and have the skills and desire to fix it.

2)Related to #1. Inclusion of pgsql in some major linux
distributions is drawing in more developers and users. This effect
seems to be far more powerful than the apparent boost derived from the
book publication that spurred development of v6.2

Marc (not-to-be-confused-with-Hermit-Hacker) Zuckman
marc(at)fallon(dot)classyad(dot)com