Re: [QUESTIONS] the JDBC Driver

From: Peter T Mount <postgresdev(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Zed A(dot) Shaw" <shawz(at)asu(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Questions <pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] the JDBC Driver
Date: 1998-01-09 12:36:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

[PM: I've CC'd the postgresql-interfaces list, as JDBC related stuff
should go there]

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Zed A. Shaw wrote:

> I just downloaded the PostgreSQL JDBC driver (at least, the guys who
> wrote it claim it is the official one). Now, as usual, there are no
> instructions with this piece of software, and I really need to have it
> working quickly. So I'm hoping some kind soul out there has already got
> it running and can help me.

Where did you download it?

> First, I installed it my class path (specifically in
> /usr/local/jdk1.1.1/lib/) and told my system that it was one of the
> drivers to load (via Class.forName). This works fine, where I have the
> problem is that there is no documentation on what the proper URL is for
> connecting to the database. Does anyone know?

If it was ours, there should be a README file that contains how to install
and the url.

To install, you place the jar file into a directory in your class path (it
can be /usr/local/jdk1.1.1/lib).

jdbc.drivers=postgresql.Driver property setting.

As for the URL:
jdbc:postgresql://host:port/database?arg1=val1&arg2=val2...

eg:

jdbc:postgresql:test?auth=password

would connect you to the database test using password authentication

> My second and final question is whether this driver supports the
> setMaxRows method of the JDBC specification. It is in the documentation
> on the web site, but that doesn't mean much. So if anyone knows, I'd
> appreciate it.

Currently (pre V6.3), setMaxRows and getMaxRows do work, but the value is
ignored and all rows are returned.

This has been fixed ready for 6.3

> Also, if anyone has run into any problems with this thing, I'd
> appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.

The driver is under continual development.

--
Peter T Mount petermount(at)earthling(dot)net or pmount(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder