Re: Insert using a subselect?

From: Jason Tan <jason(at)rebel(dot)rebel(dot)net(dot)au>
To: yFrancisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Insert using a subselect?
Date: 2001-09-14 02:39:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Jason Tan wrote:
>

> > You need to make it return just one row.
> > It doenst knwo which value to use in the insert.
> > Jason
>
> so it is not possible to populate an insert from a subselect if there is
> more than one row/column?

I dont think so.
I _think_ that an insert can only ever insert a single row.

I _think_ you ahve to do a separate inssert for each row to be inserted.

But i ma not a postgres experet or an expert on sql and its sematnics,
just auser.
My thoughts above are from my won experience, not any absolute knowledge.

Jason Tan jason(at)rebel(dot)net(dot)au
~Benjamin Franklin, 1759