Re: How to connect applet to different SQL server.

From: Stuart Urban <sturban(at)cs(dot)uiowa(dot)edu>
To: doug(at)dupreeinc(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to connect applet to different SQL server.
Date: 2000-08-18 00:12:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Doug,
I have used Java for a while, although I am not extremely familiar with
Applets. Recently, however, I have set up a database server(using an
applet and in an application) for a Java project using PostgreSQL. It
seems to me that applets have a lot of trouble accessing files on other
machines no matter what the situation. The way that I was able to achieve
the server functionality was to use Java RMI. You would need to set up a
set of objects on the machine with the database according to the standard
RMI structure and then set up client classes on the machine serving the
applet. Figuring it out and understanding it can be a little rough, but
the end product is VERY powerful, and knowing RMI comes in handy. If you
have no idea what I am talking about, you may want to go to Sun's web site
and check out the RMI tutorials. There should also be books available on
RMI, and I believe even some on JDBC and RMI used together. If you find a
simpler way to do what you need to, jump on it. If not, however, Remote
Method Invocation is a way that I know works for sure.

--
Sorry if this is not too much help,
Stu