Perl module: Postgres - obsolete?

From: Dan Brickley <Daniel(dot)Brickley(at)Bristol(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Perl module: Postgres - obsolete?
Date: 1998-03-07 11:33:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I've just upgraded my development machine to 6.3, having been working with
6.2 and 6.2.1 quite successfully for much of the last year. When I started
out with Postgres I picked up a module from the CPAN Perl archive called
'Postgres' (PostgresPerl-1.3.tar.gz). It doesn't seem to have been updated
since late 1996, but seemed to work fine with 6.2 (so long as the
Makefile.PL was amended to fix obsolete references to 'postgres95'
directories.

I've been using this module ever since, and am now wondering how safe
it'll be with 6.3. It needed a further tweak to Makefile.PL this time
(changed libpq.so.1 to libpq.so.1.1). In the medium term I will fix my
code to use a more up to date Perl interface; in the meantime I'd be
grateful for any advice. Am I likely to damage my data or crash the
postmaster? The number change from 1 to 1.1 seems to indicate that the
library should still work...

Dan

ps. the module can be obtained from any CPAN archive, eg
http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/CPAN/modules/by-module/Postgres/