Re: high availability

From: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb(at)eskimo(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: high availability
Date: 2003-04-16 16:24:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> If you want automated failover, PostgreSQL, Inc. say they'll sell you
> something which can do it. I am suspicious of the assumptions behind
> the approach, but I haven;t investigated it deeply.
>
> If what you want is 100% guaranteed uptime with no interruptions for
> maintenance, I don't really think Postgres can do it yet.

I don't think anyone can do this yet. Some may advertise it, but the
reality usually is different from the advertisements. Some may be better,
or even much better than Postgres, but even when I worked at EDS, we had
to take down our production databases for very large web sites to do
certain maintenance tasks.

In fact, there, the most usual way of having a nonstop DB was just running
a DB on ultra-reliable hardware. All of the CPUs were used CPUs that had
never shown any faults - same with memory.

Jon