Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-12-01 17:54:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
>> I'd ultimately like to use the Python version as a spec to produce a C
>> implementation, because that's the only path to get something like this
>> integrated into initdb itself.
>
> It won't get integrated into initdb in any case: a standalone tool is
> the correct thing. Or do you think people should have to initdb in
> order to get fresh advice after changes in the environment?

The long-term goal Josh suggested aiming for (that I abandoned for now)
was replacing the part of initdb that creates the initial postgresql.conf
via the sample with a call to a program that generates it instead. Said
program could also run standalone for later updates to the configuration.

I have no interest in arguing about whether that's a good or bad idea at
this point, I've accepted that the only useful statements to be made in
this area come in the form of a working implementation to review. Until I
have one of those, this really isn't worth getting into.