Re: Decreasing WAL size effects

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Kyle Cordes <kyle(at)kylecordes(dot)com>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Decreasing WAL size effects
Date: 2008-10-30 22:23:03
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Gregory Stark wrote:

> Wouldn't it be just as good to indicate to the archive command the amount of
> real data in the wal file and have it only bother copying up to that point?

That pushes the problem of writing a little chunk of code that reads only
the right amount of data and doesn't bother compressing the rest onto the
person writing the archive command. Seems to me that leads back towards
wanting to bundle a contrib module with a good implementation of that with
the software. The whole tail clearing bit is in the same situation
pg_standby was circa 8.2: the software is available, and it works, but it
seems kind of sketchy to those not familiar with the source of the code.
Bundling it into the software as a contrib module just makes that problem
go away for end-users.