Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date: 2008-08-29 07:36:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> the patch works for data that contains no backslashes, asterisks,
> backquotes, vertical bars, nor underscores.

These characters don't show up very much in real world data. You'll find
[-.,:;!(at)#$%&()"] in just about everything; those would be a problem.
Occasionally I'll see data files that use * in them, that's the main
source for the ones I was suggesting I'd have to tweak with a
search/replace (* -> \*) before the output would be useful. But [\`|_]?
Unless you're storing source code or similar computer-ish stuff in your
database, you just don't see those characters. The kind of regular text a
normal business dumps into a database just doesn't use them.

> I am quite certain that anyone trying to pass data into a ReST-reading
> application will soon be dissatisfied with this patch.

If anyone can suggest a common data source that a) makes sense to output
in tabular form and b) uses one of the special characters that's a problem
here, I'd grudgingly concede here. A quick search of the stuff I work on
finds filenames like "C:\WINDOWS" as the only thing I run into with any
frequency close to that category, and it's rare I'd be dumping something
with a filename into tabular output.