Re: Review: DTrace probes (merged version) ver_03

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, jesus(at)omniti(dot)com
Subject: Re: Review: DTrace probes (merged version) ver_03
Date: 2008-08-02 20:00:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Sounds like the thing to do would be to pass CheckpointStats into the
> DONE probe.

I thought it would be more useful to demarcate where the two phases of the
checkpoint process were at clearly--the actual times themselves are
helpful but dtrace can do more than that. The write and sync phases have
very different I/O characteristics, and it really should be easy for
people to analyze them independantly. I'm not familiar enough with dtrace
to know if that's easy with the patch as it stands, I think there needs to
be another probe in the middle there to make that straightforward.