Re: Index creation and maintenance_work_mem

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql General list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index creation and maintenance_work_mem
Date: 2008-07-29 20:35:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Besides maintenance_work_mem, what else can be changed to improve index
> creation?

Very large values there haven't been all that helpful for me. I've gotten
better results in this area giving more of the unused memory to
shared_buffers (which you didn't mention your setting for) rather than
having a gigantic setting for maintenance_work_mem. Last time I went
through a similar exercise to yours, but with a much larger data set, I
ran a baseline test at maintenance_work_mem=64MB and larger values didn't
seem to improve anything significantly over that.