Re: Hardware vs Software RAID

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Adrian Moisey <adrian(at)careerjunction(dot)co(dot)za>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware vs Software RAID
Date: 2008-06-25 20:05:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> So, based on this and other experiences, i'm starting to be more partial
> to linux distributions with faster moving kernels, mainly because i
> trust the kernel drivers more than the vendor provided drivers.

Depends on how fast. I find it takes a minimum of 3-6 months before any
new kernel release stabilizes (somewhere around 2.6.X-5 to -10), and some
distributions push them out way before that. Also, after major changes,
it can be a year or more before a new kernel is not a regression either in
reliability, performance, or worst-case behavior.