Re: [0/4] Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [0/4] Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches
Date: 2008-05-05 21:03:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> elog() should not be used for user-facing errors. I couldn't easily
> tell just which of the messages are likely to be seen by users and
> which ones should be "can't happen" cases, but certainly there are
> a whole lot of these that need to be ereport()s. Likely there need
> to be some new ERRCODEs too.

And it would be a nice step toward the scenarios I was asking about if
there was a GUC variable for what level to log security violations at. I
realize now the tuple-level warnings are going into the SELinux logs
rather than the PostgreSQL ones, but it should be easier to change policy
violations that impact the server to something other than just ERROR.