Re: Sorting writes during checkpoint

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sorting writes during checkpoint
Date: 2008-05-04 23:12:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sun, 4 May 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> However, I am completely unable to measure any performance improvement
> from it. Given the possible risk of out-of-memory failures, I think the
> patch should not be applied without some direct proof of performance
> benefits, and I don't see any.

Fair enough. There were some pgbench results attached to the original
patch submission that gave me a good idea how to replicate the situation
where there's some improvement. I expect I can take a shot at quantifying
that independantly near the end of this month if nobody else gets to it
before then (I'm stuck sorting out a number of OS level issue right now
before my testing system is online again). Was planning to take a longer
look at Greg Stark's prefetching work at that point as well.