Windows shared_buffers limitations

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Windows shared_buffers limitations
Date: 2008-03-26 22:19:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Was working on some documentation today and I realized that I've taken for
granted the lore about not using large values for shared_buffers in
Windows without ever understanding why. Can someone explain what the
underlying mechanism that causes that limitation is? From poking the
archives I got the impression it was some page mapping issue but details
are elusive.