Re: Patch review

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch review
Date: 2008-02-13 08:41:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Gregory Stark wrote:

> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
>
>> If I link to a comment URL, how do people know if they should look at
>> that comment or all comments below it?
>
> They should look at whatever they want to. I usually have to back up several
> messages to understand the context and then follow several messages later.

If you look at how the archives store things, the threading in there
sometimes isn't sufficient to support this. As an example, I was just
trying to read all the messages in the "Group Commit" thread that Bruce
has tracked on "Patches Held For PostgreSQL 8.4", and for reasons I can't
figure out it's split into two threads in the archives. If you just
caught the earlier thread in there it would not be obvious that there's a
later one. My e-mail archive, like Bruce's that he converts onto the web
page, doesn't have that problem, but people not there for the original
discussion wouldn't have that available.

I think your basic argument that "patches queue" and "relevant discussion
archive" can be managed independantly still holds, but there is some value
to the way Bruce collects up the more interesting posts in the thread.