Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances
Date: 2007-12-27 15:53:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Gregory Stark wrote:

> Fwiw I think you're all getting a bit caught up in this one context.

I lost a day once over this problem. Guillaume lost at least that much.
Sounds like Magnus and Dave got a good sized dose as well. Seems like
something worth warning people about to me. The worst time people can run
into a performance regression is when they're running a popular
benchmarking tool. I didn't think this was a big problem because I
thought it was limited to developers who shot their own foot, but if there
are packagers turning this on to improve beta feedback it deserves some
wider mention.

As for the suggestion that people don't read the documentation, take a
look at the above list of developers and tell me whether that group is
aware of what's in the docs or not. I had never seen anyone bring this up
before I ran into it, and I dumped a strong warning into
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Working_with_CVS#Initial_setup
so at least it was written down somewhere.