Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE printing logical and hardware I/O per-node

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE printing logical and hardware I/O per-node
Date: 2007-12-18 02:56:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Decibel! wrote:

> Someone want to throw together some code that actually measures this? Maybe
> something that keeps a histogram of how many instructions take place per I/O
> request? If it turns out that counters do vary too much between CPUs, there
> might be ways that we can account for that.

I'd expect the easiest way to do a proof of concept here would be to use
the Linux oprofile tool. That's already abstracted away the differences
in hardware counters and provides a relatively simple interface to collect
the data without getting bogged down with implementation there. Starting
from scratch, going right to the hardware counters and building from
there, is a big project--they've been hacking on oprofile for almost six
years now and still aren't suggesting it's release quality yet.