Re: RAID arrays and performance

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAID arrays and performance
Date: 2007-12-05 06:47:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Mark Mielke wrote:

>> This is bikeshed land, right?
> I am only interested by juicy projects that have a hope of success. This
> subject does interest me - I am hoping my devil's advocate participation
> encourages people to seek a practical implementation that will benefit me.

Nah, you're both in bikeshed land. Ultimately this feature is going to
get built out in a way that prioritizes as much portability as is possible
while minimizing the impact on existing code. The stated PostgreSQL bias
is that async-I/O is not worth the trouble until proven otherwise:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_DEV.html#item1.14

That's why Greg Stark is busy with low-level tests of I/O options while
you're arguing much higher level details. Until you've got some
benchmarks in this specific area to go by, you can talk theory all day and
not impact what implementation will actually get built one bit.

As an example of an area you've already brought up where theory and
benchmarks clash violently, the actual situation with NCQ on SATA drives
has been heavily blurred because of how shoddy some manufacturer's NCQ
implementation are. Take a look at the interesting thread on this topic
at http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/3/159 to see what I'm talking about. Even
if you have an NCQ drive, and a version of Linux that supports it, and
you've setup everything up right, you can still end up with unexpected
performance regressions under some circumstances. It's still the wild
west with that technology.