schemas not appearing in pgAdmin

From: Derek Fonda <Derek(dot)Fonda(at)Level3(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Derek Fonda <Derek(dot)Fonda(at)Level3(dot)com>, Michael Peterson <Michael(dot)Peterson(at)Level3(dot)com>, Phil MacDonald <Philip(dot)MacDonald(at)Level3(dot)com>
Subject: schemas not appearing in pgAdmin
Date: 2007-10-24 20:19:00
Lists: pgadmin-support

I'm running postgres 8.0.3 (Solaris) and PgAdmin III 1.8.0

I created a schema in my prod DB that is named pgmacdon, however it
appears that pgAdmin III is not displaying this schema as existing in the
prod DB.

It would appear that you are using the wrong query to exclude the pg_*
internal schemas

PgAdmin III appears to be doing a query similar to the following to
retrieve the list of schemas to display:

SELECT
nspname,
CASE WHEN nspname LIKE 'pg\_tmp\_%%' THEN 1
WHEN (nspname LIKE 'pg\_%') THEN 0
ELSE 3 END AS nsptyp
FROM
pg_namespace

nspname | nsptyp
--------------------+--------
pg_toast | 0
pheller | 3
pg_temp_1 | 0
pg_catalog | 0
public | 3
mdpeters | 3
information_schema | 3
dfonda | 3
msessums | 3
adbrown | 3
philmacdonald | 3
pgmacdon | 0 <===== FALSELY being set to 0 (don't display)

It would appear that in order to match pg_*, postgres requires:

LIKE 'pg\\_%'
_rather than_
LIKE 'pg\_%'

Not sure if this was a bug in 8.0.3 that was later fixed or the syntax for
a literal underbar MUST BE '\\_'

Thank you for your time and attention
Derek Fonda