Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best
Date: 2007-09-12 03:19:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> Just to confirm -- why do you say "[Opteron] will have 2X as many
> disks"? In the dual-Opteron setup above I have 2 hard disks with
> RAID1, whereas in the single-Xeon quad-core setup I have 4 disks with
> RAID 10.

What I was trying to suggest was that the 3Ware system with the Intel
Quad-Core processor would likely be faster than the Dual Dual-Core Opteron
system even with the same number of disks because of how much faster its
controller is, and the fact that the 3Ware+Intel system has twice as many
disks just increases how much faster I'd expect it to be.