Re: HOT patch - version 15

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HOT patch - version 15
Date: 2007-09-07 04:35:06
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> I wonder if pruning in bgwriter only is enough to make HOT work
> efficiently. On a very frequently updated page, bgwriter will have to
> work hard to keep up.

One of the goals for how I rebuilt the just-in-time BGW was to try and
make smaller values for bgwriter_delay feasible. None of the tunables
*should* have to be adjusted if you need to run the bgwriter much more
often to support some new HOT-related activity in there as well; this is
actually my next area I wanted to do a bit more testing on myself.