Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight
Date: 2007-08-04 05:26:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> Phew, this can go on for a while :)

My scope from the beginning was not to do a feature comparison. That's a
gigantic mess, and there are pages out there who cover that material
fairly well already. All I wanted to hit are the very basic SQL/engine
issues that tend to be misrepresented (often because the pages are
outdated) when comparing the performance/reliability tradeoffs of the main
database core of each system. Clustering, character sets, random features
that aren't key parts of the SQL spec--not really topical here.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions about the join complexity section,
I expanded that section based on all the messages that went by today and
am happy now with how it covers that topic.